Sunday, February 22, 2009

Places to meet people…

It seems like it is becoming more and more difficult finding someone to share your life with. Due to our hectic schedules and “me, me, me” mentality (among other reasons), getting out and actually striking up a conversation with someone is moving towards the bottom of our “list of things to do”. Also, where does one even begin to meet someone that they could possibly form a significant, long-lasting relationship with?

Some (odd) places are listed below...

Sporting events, super market (at odd hours), walking your dog, the gym, the Internet (facebook, myspace, craigslist, eharmony, chat rooms, etc.), at work, an adult learning class (for work/school, i.e., arts & crafts, cooking, communication skills, etc.), a hotel/motel/Holiday Inn (lol), museums, a club/lounge/bar, shopping (mall), joining a singles group/club, place of worship, joining a book club, bookstore, on vacation, restaurant, networking event, volunteer activity, have a party and ask your friends to invite their friends, a wake/funeral, taking a craft class, joining a business association, high school/college reunions, blind date, investment club, seminars, classified section of the newspaper, a diner, wine tasting, ski trip, mind/body/spirit class (i.e., yoga), get a new job, take an acting/dance class, a sports league/team/club, eat lunch outside of the office, Laundromat, movie theatre, coffee shop, a wedding/engagement party, baby shower, birthday party, jogging, gift shop, adult shop, the Apple store, a political rally or campaign, speed dating event, a cruise, your apartment complex/building, public pool, car shopping, dating agency, travel-related places (buses, trains, planes, bus stop, at the airport, etc.), being an extra on a movie set, golfing, amusement park, religious gathering, watching a theatrical performance, car wash, while paying your toll, bowling, driving, gas station, ice cream shop, in a car accident, bike riding, rollerblading, music stores, library, hiking/adventure trips, beach, public bathroom area, a park, while getting your car serviced, prison, ward, concerts, Home improvement store, zoo, garden, circus, art galleries, dinner party, etc., etc.

Where have you met people that led to long-lasting relationships?


Sources:
http://www.essortment.com/all/meetnewpeopl_rbhr.htm
http://www.ehow.com/how_2931_find-places-meet.html
http://www.answerbag.com
http://love.ivillage.com/snd/meetmarket/0,,doyenne_s63n,00.html

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being the eternally single lady that I am, I am clearly not an expert on this, lol...I'm actually looking forward to some suggestions. Some of the places above are a little awkward (funeral/wake) but I will say that I have met many via internet. None translated into anything serious...

Anonymous said...

WELL I AGREE WITH CONSTANCE, SOME ARE A LIL ODD... LIKE WARD OR PRISON... BUT I GUESS IF YOUR THERE AND MEET SOMEONE LIKE YOU IN THERE THEN IT IS OK... LOL

I HAVE FOUND THAT BEFORE I GOT MARRIED, I MET ALOT OF GUYS AT THE GYM... LOL
MEN SEE YOU THE WORST YOU CAN LOOK AND IF THEY LIKE YOU LIKE THAT WHEN THEY TAKE YOU OUT AND SEE YOU ALL DOLLED OUT, THEY WILL BE EVEN MORE INTO YOU...

I HAVE HAD FRIENDS WHO HAVE TRIED THE ONLINE THING AND IT HAS WORKED FOR MANY... YOU JUST HAVE TO BE CAREFUL, BECAUSE SOME OF THEM END UP BEING MARRIED, AND WITH 10 KIDS AND NO JOB!

I THINK ITS ALL ABOUT HAVING AN OPEN MIND AND JUST NOT LOOKING BECAUSE WHEN YOU LOOK YOU CANT FIND AND WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT THEY SHOW UP!

THOSE ARE MY THOUGHTS JACK!

Anonymous said...

It's tough...the process of actually getting to know a complete stranger is a process...at least for me, that has become pretty un-desirable after many dissapointments...I haven't given up hope, but I've found that in the past my best "new friends" or "potential partners" have come from a mutual friend's introduction, or a gathering of friends and their friends. Not hook-ups, but opportunities when in the company of the people you like and love... Those seeem to be the best occasions for warming up to someone, because at least you can let down some of your guard in creating a sense of security that you may have some common ground, or that this new person shouldn't be "that crazy" lol, if they are friends with your friend.

THAT'S THE BEST WAY FOR ME :-) friends of friends...

Anonymous said...

Weddings....

Anonymous said...

The supermarket... lol

Anonymous said...

my birthday party....thats where i met you lol.

Anonymous said...

I have been in 4 relationships which i consider reasonably long term (2 yrs minimum): Work Environment (Colleague), Public Transportation (Subway), Bar/Lounge and a HS friendship.

Anonymous said...

I met my husband of 10 years on Match.com and know a good number of people of many different ages who have met their spouse or partner on one online site or other.

Anonymous said...

@ ur moms job lmao

Anonymous said...

My three longest relationships were my neighbor from across the street, my next door neighbor who was actually a friend of a friend, the third was a colleague at work. Other places where I've met women who I dated have been at school, at house parties, but never an odd place.

Anonymous said...

you can also meet interesting people at commercial shoots ; P

Anonymous said...

JFK - LAX. 5+ hours of undivided attention