Monday, January 5, 2009

Hindsight is 20/20

Every so often I see the same old gentleman on my bus ride home. He is very cordial and always asks me how my family and I are doing. Today I asked him how his New Years Eve went and how his family was doing. He told me that everyone was doing well, yet his response was melancholy. I proceeded to ask him if he had any children and he said that, regretfully, he did not have any. The next two-minute conversation made me want to write about his story. He told me that when he was a young man he was quite handsome and had all kinds of women flocking him. He was a bit of a player! I did not doubt him because he is a good-looking older man. One day he did meet a young lady, which he dated for a while, but something inside of him said he could find someone even more perfect than she was. As they say, hindsight is 20/20 because he admitted to being a fool for letting her go. He messed around a lot after that and broke many hearts. One day, his lifestyle caught up to him and by 'mistake' he got a young girl pregnant. To save himself the embarrassment of having to tell their families about this life change, they decided that she should get an abortion. The last thing he said before my bus stop was that he believes he will forever pay for having done that. “Feliz Ano Nuevo y buenas noches” he said as his bright smile filled the bus and he shook my hand adios. It’s a somewhat depressing love story because he now has to live the rest of his life regretting the love he lost. He may sadly reach the end of his fourth quarter without having someone by his side; someone to love, cherish, hold and experience life with until death do they part. Why do we think we could always do better than what we have in front of us? I guess it's partly because it is nice to dream. Unfortunately, we will not know what the best route would have been until we actually travel the road. As they say, hindsight is 20/20.

I'll Never Love Again by Taio Cruz



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h_COReXY1Y

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
that was sad... I see what you meant though....

K Storm said...

I think we all have a false sense of the perfect mate. The person in front of us could be the best thing that has ever happened to us but yet the unknown will drive us wanting more....

Anonymous said...

That is a sad story. One that should make us all realize that when we play into our own selfish tendencies, the ones we really hurt are ourselves.